Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Down Memory Lane

Happened to read this really nice blog of one of my fellow bloggers which talked about a old documentary/advt on TV when we were kids and was by far one of most memorable advt even to date...called Ek-Anek titli song....and suddenly a host of memories associated with TV and ads since childhood came crashing down....

One of my earliest memories are clearly of the first Hindi serial ever-Humlog!...At that age I hardly understood too much of the serial...but it still had to be a "Must watch"..simply coz the whole family(joint family then) would sit glued to the TV then and well...its simply meant that nothing else was more important then!

A little later came the classics....HE Man-and the masters of the universe, Spiderman(the very original cartoon version) and my all time favourite EVER..GIANT ROBOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!...How could I (or anyone!) EVER miss that serial!!!

Still remember giant robot used to come in the evening and we kids used to be glued atleast 10 min before it started to ensure we dont miss an inch of the subtitles..coz the entire Giant Robot hand movements were featured in the subtitles and that was something...we just HAD to copy along with the serial!!!:-))

And of course a little later DD was nice enugh to initiate something called FUNTIME during summer vacations in the afternoon from 12:00-2:00pm..where they showed stories of Ali baba and of course fairy tales enacted...still remember clearly..Hanstel and Gretel being on the top of my list!!

More recently was of course--JUNGLE BOOK-with Mowgli and his "Chaddi pehenke phool khila hai"...song..which I think was a bigger rage with kids(and adults--was an adult by then i think!) than any bollywood number I can think of..

But the icing on the cake to me and what made TV so much more interesting and memorable then were clearly the cute and silly ads...and yes Ads somehow never seemed like a nuisance then!...few that I can remeber top of mind...

1)Nirma ad--Iske Jhhhaaaag(extra stress on the a) ne Jadu kar diya...heheh...I still sing that song so naturally every time I see nirma soap!
2) Bajaj Lights---and its ever famous jingle..."Jab mein Chota Baccha tha...!
3) Hawkins pressure cooker...."Khana jaldi pakaye..kaisi siti bajaye..
4) Lijjat Papad!--And the stuffed bunny...saying..hehehehe....gawd!!
5) Tata soap--which literally went like..Tata ka OK..Dhulayi ka sabun!..:-)
6) Surf ad and its ever famous UshaJi!!--classic!

Well am sure there are many more that I have missed out....

Point being that somehow these were some of the things we saw and heard while growing up and well somewhere influenced all of us as kids...

TV today almost feels like a different generation with separate channels for EVERYTHING!....but I guess most of us who grew up at that time would never want to trade those fond memeories of the Idiot box with all the possible channel today.....NEVER!:-)

8 Comments:

At 6:55 PM, Blogger Cogito said...

nice recollection ! Also in my mind are the "Liril" ads and "Narasus coffee (More of a madrasi ad )Ad" .

 
At 2:40 AM, Blogger QuaTros said...

luiWell, there was also the Nukkad and Dekh Bhai Dekh! :-)
I guess the whole point was that there were no 'soaps' as we know of them today! :-)

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Ar Ar Ar Arrrrr said...

Ek-Anek titli song.
Ek chidiya...
Anek chidiya

Download the video here

simply coz the whole family(joint family then) would sit glued to the TV then and well.
Oh yeah...I gew up watching DD with ma family...
Just recently I got cable and most ofthe time Im hooked to STAR WORLD and MOVIES and HBO....so miss those days :(

.HE Man-and the masters of the universe, Spiderman(the very original cartoon version) and my all time favourite EVER..GIANT ROBOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!...How could I (or anyone!) EVER miss that serial!!!

We guys used to make HEMAN sword ....
GIANT ROBOT was ma fav too...it used to come at 6pm on thursdays I think...

FUNTIME
I used to wait for FUNTIMES...
They used to show movies in parts...remember INVISIBLE MAN..
I was so freaked out afta watching that movie...
Hehehe..

Yes...I remmeber most of the ads you had written...
Got so many memories back...
Kewl!!

I guess most of us who grew up at that time would never want to trade those fond memeories
Count me in...
I can neva forget those days...
boy...I still miss them...
now lifes busy and changed totally...

Nice post Ekta...first time here...and enjoyed for sure :)
Greetz!!!

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger Ekta said...

Cogito:- Hey yes..liked the liril jingle..and thankfully atleast the Jingle is still the same even today!

Quatros:- Dekh bhai Dekh was totally awesome!!...Loved every character especially chacha and chachi ones!

Arzoon:- Thx for dropping by and am glued to TV to whenever I can..cant beleive that I actually watch Desparate housewives and all The "K" Hindi serials!!

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

One Madam, your namesake has converted all serials into saas-bahu complications of life ;)). But for her, I think the creativity would've still been around. And the saddest part is, there seems to be no Indian comedies at all now!!

 
At 10:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ekta,

Also how can u forget the 'balloon bursting' cartoon in which people hear bursting sound from a house and mistake it for a gun shot and the rumor spreads through out the town. When the police arrives in the scene they find a man bursting balloons. It was shown many times in DD. ;)

- Murali

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Ron said...

I remember the He-man cartoons and the Mickey Donald shows..I don't think I missed a single episode. Unfortunately, there are so many channels on TV now, and absolutely NOTHING worth watching.

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger Ekta said...

Ron:-Agree completely...there are days when u can surf 30 channels and then end up switching off the TV coz not a single channel worth watching..!

But hey I used to looovvvee the cartoon shows...mickey and donald!

Murali:-Hey sorry ur right missed that one...thx for putting it in!:-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

|