Monday, March 06, 2006

The Grind Begins!

Yes-The days of glory are over, the grind begins!
Last week was my first work week in HK-yes hubby dear works three floors below me!

Week one has been good, having a workoholic british boss(lady mind u) ,meeting team members, listening to boss bitch to me about superboss, repeating over and over again that I am an Indian, I am married with no children, My profile is blah blah blah......etc etc....

Like everywhere else HK worklife and environment has its own peculiarities and one week of "pretending to be busy" has given me enough time to observe people ard from the corner of the eye:-)

Thankfully on day one my PC/ email, desk etc all was set-up. Please note I had a full stationary loaded desk cabinet given. In fact there was also a hanger provided to hang my coat...full impressed I was...have realised people here have a somewhat fetish for stationary..the stationary boy almost got reprimanded by his boss because I didnt have pencils in my stationary cabinet..woah!!

The first ten minutes in the morning are spent in the "setting up the workplace ritual"..yeah its almost like a ritual, cleaning the desk of papers, putting tiffins in the fridge, arranging stationary, arranging the extra peices of clothing on hangers(not to be left on desk!)...etc etc...

Its by and large a peaceful work environment where chinese collagues (once they start noticing a new face) will pass by with a cordial 'hi with a smile' on the face...implying..."I am supposed to know, but i dont...and well If I do have to, HAVE to , know u, then I will eventually anywayz , till then Hi with a smile"...cool!

In most places office desks are provided to enable storage--unlike here where they are provided to enable Stuffage!!....Most desk will be Overflowing with not just papers but with lots of other knick-knacks, snaps, tonnes of stationary, plants(yes!), toys, cups/mugs, toiletries....and between them somewhere a PC....sigh!

Every female colleague has a small pouch of toiletries put away in the bathroom , for their three hourly touch-up sessions...this one's totally beyond me!!!

The most notable feature however is the fetish for "between meal snacks" which is almost as important as the work itself!....each desk has one indispensible corner dedicated to food storage which includes chocs, chips, biscuits, cookies, crackers and some unrecognisable stuff...and mind you PACKS of these....and yes they are replenished religiously on a weekly basis!....Am still struggling to finish one box of biscuit wafers!!

So am trying to fit in to the HK way of working...putting my coat on the hanger provided, have now two packs of biscuits and a dedicated bottel of water.....have managed to put one pen holder with two pens and some files to occupy the desk.....and of course stuck tonnnes of useless print-outs on the pinboard....:-))

And of course writing this post during office hours helps me give the 'one week only and am already busy look".....phew!

HK...here I come:-)

p.s:- Yet to figure out what to put in the bathroom pouch!!??;-)

8 Comments:

At 11:44 AM, Blogger Sugababee said...

Very intersting...
Hope all goes well with your new job;)
Tk Cr Mate!
:)

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Mr. J said...

Well well well.. stumbled onto something interesting.. Gear up for the most interesting time of your life.

You could put in some mouth freshner, deo blah blah blah.. ;)

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger karmic said...

Good luck with your new job. It's nice to be able to work where it is a bit less regimented me thinks. Gets those creative juices flowing and keeps the mundane at bay. :-)
Nice blog by the way.

 
At 6:29 AM, Blogger Ekta said...

Me:- well dont worry there's enough deo and gum being used though I wish my colleagues would do the same!!

Karmic:- Thx Jay, well so far doesnt seem to be regimented and well about the creative juices-after 6 mths of joblessness not sure I still have them though!

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger Reshma Bachwani said...

hi ekta. Its interesting to read posts by you and anand that mirror each other. your first week at work does seem like - you had fun. btw i completely envy you for the stationery drawer since i absolutely luv stationery!!

 
At 6:52 AM, Blogger Ekta said...

Hey Reshma,
Yes first week so far has been cool!
and yes although am not a stationary freak-it does make life a lot simpler when u dont need to run around for every little thing that u want!

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger Reshma Bachwani said...

Coincidently, my hubby was complaining about his new workplace yesterday. he loves stationery too, infact more than me. His place does not even have a tea / coffee vending machine and very basic stationery. He is new to that place and works by himself so was looking to excite his worklife at bit and went looking around for some colourful sticky pads and a nice large note book to make himself feel good about being there and they did not even have that - and when i told him what you got - his eyes were gleaming for a bit untill he realized how deprived he is

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger Ekta said...

Hey Reshma!,
how about me sending some stationary to u and ur hubby slyly...hhehh....wont u guys love me for it;-)
I know whats ur bday gift now!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

|