Thursday, August 26, 2004

Ma & Pa coming to town!

Folks coming to town tomorrow!!!!
This is a syndrome which seeems to be hitting a lotta "been outta home for a while" yuppiees like me in todays generation...something which we havent been able to reconcile to..

Spend 3 hours this week trying to get my house organized to make it livable for them and can still hear mom saying:-

1) Why the hell are your fans sooo dirty..when was the last time you cleaned them?? (NEVER!)
2) You havent been eating well--uv lost so much weight( Pls note My new trousers dont fit me!)
3) Your cupboards a mess--what do you you do to your clothes!(DUMP Them!)
4) Why dont you take "rest" on weekends instead of romping around? ( Please define Rest...Note:- Romping around= Rest)
5) Why are there so many cobwebs in your house??( Coz mom Spidy's in town;-)

The primary effects of "Parents in town syndrome on my life" can be classified under four categories:-

1) Tonnes of good food and pampering ....nothing like home made food (and free hugs!)- Yuppieeee
2) Social life entering the non existent danger zone-- Hummmmpppp
3) Coming home and not being the first one to switch on the lightes- Yuppieee
4) My home suddenlly doesnt look like it used to...clothes are in cupboard, cushions on the bed, everything in place!- hummppp

Guess parents are the same everywhere:-)

They are gonna be here for awhile and probably the last time they would be staying with me for such a long time....looking forward to old times when got woken up by mom in the morning instead of the alarm....

Time to rewind life for awhile!

p.s:- Watch this space for more updates on life in the next few weeks....

10 Comments:

At 10:02 PM, Blogger Nimbus said...

Good to see that you FINALLY blogged! Welcome back!

As someone who's currently having her parents visit her, I totally relate to this! I have lost track of how many times my mom's shaken her head in disbelief with the background track of 'I thought I brought her up well, but what has she turned into in these years of staying away from me.. tsk tsk'. And social life? What's that? Something I knew in the distannnnnt past, perhaps.. But its all good :)

Liked the cobwebs funda. I'll use it on mom next time ;)

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger Ann Marie said...

Oh.. I am sooo relate. I can hear my mother now. "When was the last time you CLLEEAAANNNEEEDD?" You know with extra emphasis on cleaned like it is different than the shortened.. cleaned. I just say .. "well I cleaned yesterday.. but I am not sure if I have ever CLLLEEEAAANNNEEDDD." Can you please tell me the difference so next time I can say .. I CLLLLEEEEAAANNNNEEEDDD right before you got here????

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger Jupe said...

If there's one thing that cud be possibly stranger than folks visiting u , then its folks moving in with u.. esp if u've lived 9 years away from home... I can totally RELAAAAAAAAAATE...

Gawd, my folks actually wipe the glass showcases once a week..And when was the last time i used hangars for clothes.. Gives me the shudders.. Neway the food part and swithcing on lights part simply compensates for everything else.. Ensoiiiiii... while it lasts :-)

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Ekta said...

hey guys,
am not surprised at the unanimous agreement on this topic!
Its sad but true that after a point of time our tolerance zone with our own parents drops down..especially when they have tolerated us for 20 plus years of their lives!!

And yes intend to make the most of their trip here...and when its gets outside the zone--will blog:-)

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Ekta said...

hey guys,
am not surprised at the unanimous agreement on this topic!
Its sad but true that after a point of time our tolerance zone with our own parents drops down..especially when they have tolerated us for 20 plus years of their lives!!

And yes intend to make the most of their trip here...and when its gets outside the zone--will blog:-)

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Hawkeye said...

seriously ekta! coudn't agree with you more! like what you said about my blog when my parents were in town.. everything we do and blieve seems to be suddenly wrong!

i have to say (with or without shame).. the biggest problem i had; was to remember to lock my bathroom door when i was having my bath :-) didnt do it when i was alone. had to remind myself every morning " lock the damn door you moron". Kicked myself for startin the habbit in the first place.

getting myself outta the house in the morning was a big deal too. cause when you start talking with parents ( general guppa).. it never seems to stop!

hey! why do you say your parents are having "last long stay ".. you never know parents or life.. they/it always spring a pleasant surprise.:-).

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger Abhi said...

u sure got me nostalgic.staying away fr home fr the frst time in my 22 yrs of existence n i miss it terribly.ooo mommy,where art thou?!
abhinav
IIM Calcutta.
www.mydayzwithmyself.blogspot.com

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Poor Ekta's ma and paw. Such a hard time you give them. You shud be punished. Now clean up, drink ur milk, and go to bed. Its way beyond beddy time ;o))

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger gvenum said...

Can't agree more. I never lived as hygene, my clothes pressed, have the the right bowls to cook food(I had some configuring problems before with cooking ware) all in all an very uplifting experience. Your's and Megha's comments kind of make me feel Iam not alone and feel confident that I am normal. Anyway its guys birth right to suck at this(just this.... hmmm... really??), but girl's whats up with you.

 
At 12:34 AM, Blogger Paddy said...

Parents as a species out of their natural habitat are dangerous.I recently had my roomie's folks come over to stay for a month or so.

We tried to entertain them best in our own ways but of no avail as they tend to keep looping around the same things.Its like saying 'we love you' but we would like you to have your own space.Strange that should happen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

|